Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Waldo Canyon






Today I went hiking with Cassie at Waldo Canyon. This is my favorite local hike; it’s very long, over eight miles but a very pretty, scenic, empty and relaxing hike. I’ve never been to the trailhead parking lot and had a problem with parking (even on Saturdays). In fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than 10 people on the entire hike.

If you take highway 24 about a mile past the stoplight for Cave of the Winds you will see a parking lot on the right hand side of the road. When you park you will see a clearly marked sign that reads “Pike National Forest Trailhead Waldo Canyon”, so you’ll know you are in the right spot. The trail is very clearly marked; although it is very long, the hike is easy and only moderate in some spots.

The trail starts out near the road but you are quickly guided away from it and you will hike over two miles to “the loop”. When you reach the loop you’ll see a sign that says < Waldo Canyon Loop 3 ½ miles >. I’ve always gone left; I feel the trail is more enjoyable this way. Anyways, after turning left at the sign you are taken through a pretty valley and over a couple of streams. There are usually lots of purple flowers and purple butterflies to match on this part of the trail.

Eventually the trail starts to incline again and you gain a decent amount of elevation as you approach the center of the loop. Shortly after hiking back to the top you are rewarded with some very beautiful views of Pikes Peak. As you continue down the loop you also start to see views of a canyon. When the loop ends you simply take the same 2.5 mile route back to the parking lot.

I have seen lots of wildlife at Waldo; today I saw some lizards and lots of angry squirrelss. However, the last time I went I saw a herd of about twenty deer that were literally on the trail in front of me. Some parts of the valley seem like a great place for a mountain lion but I have yet to see one… anywhere but the zoo …
>

1 comment:

  1. The video quality is not very good... you can view it on youtube and it looks much better

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro1YgzroPAE

    ReplyDelete